Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your time together.
Review Group Member Commitments (explain any as needed):
- We do our part to create a safe environment.
- We listen to each other.
- We commit to share our lives with one another.
- We direct each other to God for the solutions to our problems.
- We resolve conflict.
Review from Last Week
- Were you able to tell last week’s story to someone this past week?
- How did God use last week’s story in your life?
Hook into God’s Word
Have you ever had the experience of being a foreigner? What was it like?
Context of the Story
God had promised Abraham that he (and his descendants) would be a blessing to all people. Specifically, God had promised to bless those who bless Abraham and his descendants. Today we read a story that occurs during the time of Israel’s judges which expresses God’s kindness toward anyone who blesses God’s people.
Tell the Story
Have the storyteller/reader say, “Here is the story from God’s Word,” before telling the story to the group.
Rebuild the Story
- Why do you think God told the Israelites not to marry foreign people?
- What are some of the unexpected things that occur in this story?
- Did you find anything impresses you about the people in this story?
- Do you have any questions about anything in this story?
- Have you ever doubted God’s ability to use someone because of their background?
- What are some things about you and your background that might make you an unexpected follower of Jesus?
- Choose a storyteller/reader for next week: 1 Samuel 10:17-26; pp. 138.
- Share prayer requests and pray for each other.
*feel free pick and choose or to add your own questions
- more questions can be found in the back of The Story book