Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your time together.
Review Group Member Commitments (explain any as needed):
- We do our part to create a safe environment.
- We listen to each other.
- We commit to share our lives with one another.
- We direct each other to God for the solutions to our problems.
- We resolve conflict.
Review from Last Week
- Did last week’s discussion impact how you live in any way?
Hook into God’s Word
- Did you feel closer to your mom or dad growing up? Why do you think that was?
- Ask someone in the group to read the passage for the week
Digging Into Thessalonians
- What aspects of helping someone grow in their faith are similar to mother/infant relationship?
- What aspects of helping someone grow in their faith are similar to father/child relationship?
- Why do you think Paul is so adamant about not being a burden on the Thessalonians?
- What is a spiritual parent’s #1 goal? (See verse 12)
A Companion Story
- Ask someone in the group to read Matthew 12:46-50
- How would you feel if your close relative seemed too busy to spend time with you?
- What do you think Jesus meant by saying his disciples were his brothers, sisters, and mother?
- Do you tend to prioritize immediate family or church family?
- Who has helped you grow in your faith? What were some things you learned from them?
- Are you a spiritual parent to someone? Is there someone you can be a spiritual parent to?
- Share prayer requests and pray for each other.